Friday, 23 April 2021 | 11:18
View by:

New Marunda Port can reduce Tanjung Priok’s burden by 30%

Wednesday, 04 September 2019 | 00:00

Port operator company PT Karya Citra Nusantara (KCN) claimed that its Marunda Port in North Jakarta had reduced Tanjung Priok Port’s burden from bulk handling since it completed the Pier 1 construction in 2018.

“At least 30 percent [of Tanjung Priok Port’s burden] has been reduced,” KCN president director Widodo Setiadi told reporters at Marunda Port, which is still under construction for further development, on Saturday.

He said that Pier 1, with an area of 42 hectares, could handle some 12 million tons of bulk per year.

In addition to that, KCN is now constructing piers 2 and 3, expected to be completed between 2022 and 2023, which will cover a total area of 100 hectares and have a combined length of 5,350 meters.

Once the construction was completed, Marunda Port was expected to handle some 30 million to 35 million tons of bulk per year and be able to anchor around 50 ships, Widodo added.

The company had allocated some Rp 5 trillion (US$352.4 million) to Rp 9 trillion to build the three piers. The construction of Pier 1 alone has cost some Rp 3 trillion, Widodo said.

Marunda Port was built to be a supporting port for the overcapacity Tanjung Priok Port and was planned to handle bulk materials.

Despite being included as one of the national strategic projects, the port’s development fund was solely from KCN itself and not from the state budget.

“Some 40 percent was from internal funding and the other 60 percent came from a bank loan,” Widodo said.

KCN, a joint venture between state-owned company PT Kawasan Berikat Nusantara (KBN) and shipbuilding company PT Karya Tekhnik Utama (KTU), was established in 2005 with a composition of 85 percent shares from KTU and 15 percent of KBN. KCN has acted as the operator and developer of Marunda Port ever since.

The port’s development was initially expected to be completed six years after the KCN was established. However, the development has been hindered by several legal and permit issues.
Source: Jakarta Post

    There are no comments available.
    In order to send the form you have to type the displayed code.